Welcome

All the cute and the precious have been found. All the kitties and puppies have homes. The candy colored, the eco-friendly, the hipsters of the handmade are all duly covered elsewhere. Here I will find the slightly odd, the darkly beautiful, the elegant and steamy pieces of goodness. I am very particular in my tastes and though I promise you that I will share nothing but the most intriguing of my discoveries, you may not always like them. I must also confess that I have no real artistic nor fashion background to base my finds upon. These are simply discoveries dug up from the depths of etsy or perhaps elsewhere, brushed off and presented for your approval.

Monday, February 13, 2012

Her Majesty's Explorer: a Steampunk bedtime story!

A few months ago I got my second ever request to review a book. I waited patiently as the release date neared for my chance to give this a read and I finally got my copy so it's time to share. First the particulars from the press releases:


About Her Majesty's Explorer: a Steampunk bedtime story: Automaton St.John Murphy Alexander walks the world exploring for the Queen. He sees the most extraordinary landscapes, creatures and weather. He gets very, VERY dirty. Exhausted, he returns to HQ and gets ready for a well deserved rest and some sweet dreams.
 
This gentle book, written by Steampunk novelist Emilie P. Bush and brilliantly illustrated by William Kevin Petty, is the perfect wind-down for a little adventurer. Look for it in the Spring of 2012.
 
About Emilie P. Bush - Former public radio show host and author of the Steampunk novels Chenda and the Airship Brofman and The Gospel According to Verdu, Ms. Bush writes for The Steampunk Chronicle and lectures on publishing throughout the Southeast. Her stories are available at your favorite book retailer, Amazon.com, and in ALL digital formats at Smashwords.com.
 
About William Kevin Petty - National Guard Captain William Kevin Petty has taken on Her Majesty's Explorer as a labor of love, and he works on his illustrations during his down time while serving with the U.S.Army in the Middle East. Look for his work in Steampunk Magazine and at Allied-Aethernautics.com.

 So onto my humble opinion of said bedtime story. I read it with my kids since my own adult opinion matters little if children don't like it right? Well, I am happy to report that they did like it despite their initial reservation regarding the "steampunk" aspect. You see my family is not as in love with the genre as I am. In fact they tend to pat my head with that, 'whatever you like Mom' when I point out something new I've found. This is of course why the Wunderkammer is so important for my personal sanity, but I digress. The story is simple and cute with a natural sense of adventure winding down to serenity making it perfect for bedtime. The illustrations are as well full of beauty and a sense of simplicity that has the same calming effect with a few added elements that are perfect for discovery. So our opinion is, the book is a success combining mild elements of steampunk with a classic bedtime story.

What I really loved though, even more than the main story, was the backup poem, 'Three Cheers For Steamduck'. It is pure whimsy and even the kids wanted a Steamduck after we read it, which I will never let them forget. Do pop by Coal City Stories etsy shop to see a Steamduck t-shirt too.

So now for a few more particulars. The book is to be released on February 28th exclusively through Amazon.com. You can also follow at http://coalcitysteam.wordpress.com/ , http://www.facebook.com/events/347525985265865/ , http://www.site.coalcitysteam.com/ and http://twitter.com/CoalCitySteam

I do honestly recommend this book  for all you Steampunk loving parents out there that want to add a little steampunk into your children's lives.

1 comments:

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

I like this idea. I will seek this one out.